Teeth are essential for anyone at any age since it helps in the growth, development, and overall health and wellness. If the eyes are the window to the soul, oral health is considered as the window to the overall health. It is believed by health experts since there are studies that link certain dental complications to the overall health of patients.
Young children can have as much as 20 teeth as their primaries while adults have a total of 32 teeth. These teeth are made up of incisors, canine, premolars, and molars which comes in different forms as well as sizes. The teeth have various functions that are useful for the overall health and well-being of patients. Molars and premolars, for example, are in charge of biting, tearing, and grinding foods that are needed by the body.
Molars are located farthest back which makes it hard to reach when cleaning, and its form makes it even harder. It usually consists of deep grooves and pits which are not easily reached even when using a thin, soft-bristled toothbrush. These portions can allow bacterias to accumulate, making it prone to tooth decay which can result in cavities.
However, due to the continuous advancements in the field of dentistry, treatments have been developed for the various needs of patients including teeth protection. At Dental Town, we offer a solution in the form of Dental Sealants that can act as a barrier against decay-causing bacterias. The procedure can keep out any harmful substances from the narrow pits and fissures of molars as well as premolars.
How are Dental Sealants Applied to Protect the Teeth?
- To ensure that there will be no underlying issue when the sealant is placed, the dentist will thoroughly clean the hollow part of the teeth.
- After the teeth are rinsed and dried, an etching solution is applied to roughen the surface slightly. Its purpose is to ensure the bond of the sealant to the teeth to work effectively in keeping the bacterias out.
- The solution is then rinsed, and the tooth is dried for the application of sealant material.
- Dental sealants can appear as a clear or tooth-colored material to closely resemble the teeth structures. It is directly applied to each tooth carefully using a small brush. Its liquidity allows it to flow into the deep grooves and pits ensuring its proper “sealing.”
- The solution is then hardened by using a special curing light to hasten the process.
- The dentist would check the sealants applied to make sure that it would work effectively. Necessary adjustments can be performed to ensure that it does not affect the proper occlusion of the patient.
Dental Sealants may be ideal for children, but it is also advised for adults for teeth protection. Proper dental hygiene may be effective, but if partnered with sealants ensures its better effectivity in teeth protection for better overall health and wellness.
Get added protection to your teeth with Dental Sealants in Chicago. Book your appointment with Dental Town! Our dental office is located at 3600 W. Belmont Ave., #2, Chicago, IL 60618.