Several factors can cause gum disease, and plaque build-ups are one of those. Dentists highly recommend proper dental hygiene at home and regular professional cleanings to effectively get rid of this harmful substance. However, other people do not observe the practice.
As a result, plaque can populate the area near the gum line and even progress deeper. The gums can become inflamed or even bleed when brushing and flossing, which signals the first stage of the disease – gingivitis. While gum disease can be terrifying, it can be easily avoided or even treated, thanks to scaling and root planing which is being offered here at Dental Town.
Scaling is performed by the dentist where they thoroughly remove the plaque or tartar accumulation above and below the gum line. On the other hand, root planing is when they smooth out the roots to promote the reattachment of the gums to the teeth. The procedures are also referred to as deep cleaning as it cleans more than the usual professional cleanings performed. While its primary benefit is the effective treatment of gum disease, there are a lot more, and it includes:
- Tooth loss which is usually associated with gum disease can be prevented. It occurs since the condition targets the structures that support the teeth, which are the gums and bones. The plaque or tartar can also weaken these structures, but because of scaling and root planing, they can be eliminated.
- Oral complications like gum disease can cause chronic bad breath. The condition is not only bothersome, but it can also affect the patient’s confidence and self-esteem. Getting rid of the causes through scaling and root planing can also eliminate bad breath.
- Since the harmful build-ups can be removed, the patients have a lower risk of developing tooth decay, cavities, and other complications that affect the overall oral wellness.
- There were studies conducted which proved the link between oral problems and systemic health issues. Keeping the mouth clean and healthy, ensures not only better oral health but an excellent overall physical health as well.
- Many people can undergo the procedure without feeling fearful or anxious. The process is minimally invasive, but to guarantee the patients’ optimal comfort and safety, local anesthetics during the treatment can be utilized.
Let us help you improve your overall health and wellness! Book your appointment with us at Dental Town and check out our services under Periodontics like Scaling and Root Planing in Chicago, IL. We are located at 3346 W. Lawrence Ave., Chicago, IL 60625.